Sometimes I think mis-communication can be more than just language differences. Weekend shopping in a small lighting store went something like this:
Me: Do you have any small lights?
(Shopkeeper hands me a tiny light bulb)
Me: Something like this? (I point to a nightlight plugged into his wall)
Shopkeeper: Here (tries to again hand me a tiny lightbulb fit for a Barbie condo)
Me: No, like this.
SK: Here.
Me: No, like this.
SK: Here.
Me: No, like this.
SK: Here.
Me: No, LIKE THIS!
SK: Oh...wait. (he rustles around in a box and comes back with a purple night light)
Me: Do you have something white? (the bulbs are built in and can't be changed)
SK: Here (hands me a green light)
Me: Something white?
SK: Here. (hands me a red nightlight)
Me: I don't live in a KTV. WHITE?
SK: Here (hands me a penguin shaped night light with a white light)
Me: Um, I think small children might like this one.
SK: Europeans really like this one.
Me: But I'm American.
SK: Oh, Americans like guns! (Laughs while pretending to shoot the neighboring shop with his finger guns).
Me: Um, I'm an English teacher, not a soldier. I like English.
SK: Americans like guns! (Laughs again while pretending to shoot out light-bulbs in his shop).
Me: Uh....how much is this?
SK: 7 yuan
Me: Is that the foreigner or Chinese price?
SK: Everyone pays 7 Yuan for this! Everyone! Foreigner, Chinese! 7 Yuan!
Me: How about 5 Yuan?
SK: Okay!
I now have a new penguin night light. This was the 10th shop I've visited in a two week search (no clue why there is a night light shortage in Lhasa) and I have to say, the penguin is starting to grow on me. And he helps me spot bugs in the night when I wake up in a panic at 3AM desperate to make sure nothing falls on my face in my sleep. Thank you my petite lighted antarctic bird friend!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Cute post, Bethany!
ReplyDeleteA penguin nightlight adds a bit of whimsey to your little home, giving it a warm glow in the dark of night.
ReplyDelete